Today at SkinSincere, we're thinking about the importance of your unique skin type. When it comes to maintaining well nourished, smooth and flawless-looking skin, knowledge is most definitely power. Check out our guide to each unique skin type here - and make sure you shop for yours!
If your skin is frequently feeling a little flaky, you may well have dry skin. Although we all suffer with a little dryness occasionally, dry skin types tend to find their skin feels tight, dry to the touch, and often irritated. Dry skin can be caused by weather, allergies, diet and genetics, and unfortunately, dry skin is known to show the signs of ageing more quickly.
If you have dry skin, you may be more prone to eczema and psoriasis, and feel itchy and uncomfortable quite often. Dry skin can also be a little more sensitive, too! You need to take gentle care of your dry skin to ensure it stays hydrated.
- Cut out those long, hot baths and showers! Heat and humidity are known to dehydrate the skin, stripping it of its all-important natural oils (that you're a little lacking in!)
- Switch up your skin care products. Products containing harsh chemicals and parabens can add to your irritation.
- Use a soothing, skin-type suitable moisturiser twice daily, massaging it all over your skin to lock-in moisture.
- Avoid cosmetics and skincare products that are packed with alcohol. It'll dry up your skin and leave it feeling sore.
- Exfoliate! We recommend exfoliating once or twice weekly using a gentle, organic skin scrub. Don't go with just any old product - dry skin needs extra special care. At SkinSincere, we love our natural skin scrubs. They're full of antioxidants and organic ingredients like aloe vera and coconut oil, and we never use microbeads either!
- Avoid fragrance! Often labelled as 'parfum', although your go-to moisturiser may smell good, it could be irritating your dry skin. A lovely, unscented moisturiser should do the trick and leave your skin softened.
Which SkinSincere products suit dry skin types?
Our Coconut and Shea Butter Range is perfect for treating dry skin types.
Your skin produces plenty of natural oil, called sebum. We need our sebum to lubricate the skin's surface and keep it hydrated. Oily skin starts when our sebaceous glands go a bit overboard and start producing excessive amounts of sebum. This can be due to hormonal changes, your skin care regime, genetics or even medication. If you notice your skin frequently feels greasy in the morning, or you're rather prone to blackheads, whiteheads and breakouts, you may have an oily skin type.
Don't skip out on the moisturiser. It seems strange, but missing out on moisture won't stop your skin from producing sebum. In fact, it'll speed it up! Every skin type needs a gentle, nourishing moisturiser to keep it healthy.
Cleanse! Make sure you cleanse your skin with a natural cleanser. When our skin is oily, our pores become plugged up and with sebum and spot-causing bacteria. Using a gentle cleanser will help buff away bad bacteria and prevent pimples.
- Be careful with so-called acne remedies or medication. Although some may work in the short term, if you're suffering with acne, we'd recommend trying a natural approach first. Use a simple, organic cleanser and a lightweight moisturiser daily and avoid harsh, chemical-packed products.
- Exfoliate - but not too often! Exfoliation helps slough away dead skin cells and bacteria that can lead to pimples in oily-skin types. But exfoliating more than once or twice a week can ramp up oil production and leave your skin feeling greasy.
- Hydrate yourself. Get those 2 litres of water in each day. Keeping your body hydrated will show on your skin.
- Don't squeeze! Squeezing those pesky pimples won't help, however tempting. You can introduce bacteria into those zits, adding to inflammation and making them worse!
- Go natural. Pick out plant-based, all-natural products wherever possible. Aloe vera, for example, is packed with antibacterial properties to target spot-causing bacteria. It'll calm, soothe and help repair acne-scarring, too!
Which SkinSincere products suit oily skin types?
You can use any of our products, but our Aloe Vera Range will offer your skin a whole host of benefits!
Sensitive skin can often look red, suffer allergic reactions and feel sore and dry. If you notice that switching out your skincare products results in irritation and redness, you could have sensitive skin. It's a little more difficult to care for than the other skin types, especially since it's often prone to eczema and dermatitis.
- Pick us! No, really. We specialise in products that suit and soothe sensitive skin.
- Stop switching up those products. Although that brand-new wrinkle cream may promise miracles, sticking to a tried-and-tested skincare routine packed with nourishing ingredients and specially formulated products is the answer.
- Don't let your skin dry out. If sensitive skin become super-dry, you're likely to suffer with extra irritation. Slather on plenty of natural moisturiser at least twice a day. Applying your product as soon as you step out of the shower will help your skin lock in moisture.
- Avoid hidden chemicals. Many skincare products are harsh and packed with nasty ingredients. We'd suggest opting for a plant-based, organic range of products (like ours, of course.) These are far less likely to irritate and inflame your skin.
- Always read the label. Say no to parabens for calmer skin.
- Check your cosmetics. Go for light, non-greasy products free of artificial scent and preservatives wherever possible. Mineral makeup can often be a skin-saver for sensitive ladies.
- Avoid sun exposure. Sensitive skin types are often more prone to sun damage and irritation. Take care to wear a high factor sunscreen, cover up during peak times, and use a cooling aloe vera lotion after spending time outdoors.
Which SkinSincere products suit sensitive skin types?
Our Aloe Vera Range offers cooling and soothing properties ideal for sensitive skin types.
As we age, our skin naturally loses its key proteins, collagen and elastin. This means your skin becomes thinner, and fine lines and wrinkles start to appear. We'd all love eternally youthful skin, but fear not - there are things you can do without going under the knife!
- Be gentle! Treat your skin with extra gentle care. Don't rub your eyes too roughly, or try to whip your makeup off in a rush. Use your fingertips to gently massage your product into your skin - and be careful!
- Antioxidants! Using antioxidant and vitamin rich products is essential for smooth, line-free skin. They're full of all-natural nourishment. Vitamins A and E, for example, are both packed with incredible anti-ageing properties. Vitamin A is known to help boost your collagen supply, leaving your skin supple and more elastic.
- Use an eye cream. Crow's feet are one of the first visible signs of ageing - and they're best avoided! Use a gentle, wrinkle-fighting eye cream, such as our Pro Age eye cream, and smooth it carefully over your eye area each night. Your skin will absorb nourishing, age-defying nutrients to leave it smooth and radiant.
- Keep your diet fresh! Packing your diet full of vitamin-rich fruits and veggies is vital to retain your youthful radiance. And don't forget those 2 litres of water!
- Go natural. And we don't mean avoid the makeup. Pick out products packed with aloe vera, natural oils and fruit extracts. These are known to have some incredible anti-ageing properties.
- Serums - your skin secret! Yes, they truly are. Using a serum keeps those wrinkles at bay. Serums are specially formulated with anti-ageing ingredients to keep you looking younger for longer. They'll help your skin absorb your regular moisturiser too, to keep it hydrated and soft.
Which SkinSincere products suit mature skin types?
Our Pro Age range offers natural anti ageing solutions for mature skin types.
Lucky ol' you! Your skin is neither too oily nor too dry, meaning you have the pick of our products! Normal skin, although it can be a little dry or greasy at times is generally - well, just that - normal.
- Normal skin needs nourishment too! You still need to maintain a skin routine to keep your skin looking tip-top. Go for a lovely, organic cleanser, moisturiser and skin scrub to stay flawless.
- Face masks! You may have a little oiliness around that T-zone at times. Try a natural face mask to rejuvenate your complexion.
- Cleanse, cleanse, cleanse! Keep your skin fresh by applying a creamy cleanser twice daily.
- Always remove your makeup. Use your cleanser to gently remove any remnants of makeup each evening. Leaving makeup on your skin overnight could lead to breakouts!
Which SkinSincere products suit normal skin types?
Lucky you! You have the luxury of choice... although our Gentle Unscented range is perfect for normal skin types.